The Wharton School of Business Acknowledges the Power of SaaS
The Wharton Business School, on its “Knowledge Wharton” website (highly recommended), acknowledges the power of the cloud, particularly SaaS. The article digs into both the delivery model and the changes that SaaS is driving in software pricing. It also recognizes the business challenges that traditional vendors are experiencing:
“Cloud computing is not only changing how users access software applications, it’s also upending the pricing model for software products.”
The article goes on to say,
“Meanwhile, software giants… are trying to keep up with disruptive distribution and pricing models that may threaten their lucrative way of doing business.”
Kevin Werbach, a legal studies and business ethics professor at Wharton, is of the opinion that, “The old model of selling software in a box or [through] an enterprise server license and then charging for periodic upgrades has been disrupted.” He concludes that, “It inevitably will be overtaken by Internet and cloud-based distribution.”
Saikat Chaudhuri, Wharton management professor, commented on the potential of established software giants, such as Oracle, looking at SaaS acquisitions to hedge their traditional business models in an attempt to address this changing market. According to Chaudhuri, “It’s better for you to cannibalize yourself in a controlled manner than let someone else do it and hurt you.” Acquisition may be the best strategy for these on-premise vendors as they struggle with the skills and mindset to build multi-tenant SaaS solutions to match the best in the industry.
SaaS-based IT Management Software
Discover how SaaS IT Management software can help you gain instant visibility into your assets and deliver a better IT service.
Sign up for a free trial of SAManage SaaS IT Management service.
- Friday Fun: 4 Things Top IT Service Desk Teams are Thankful for This Year November 21, 2014
- Tensator Excels with Samanage IT Asset Management and IT Service Desk November 20, 2014
- Adapting IT Service Management to the Millennial Workforce November 19, 2014
- Why You Still Need Asset Management Software in the Cloud Era November 18, 2014
- The IT Help Desk and the Slow Network: How to Cope November 17, 2014
- Friday Fun: Movember at Samanage Progress Update November 14, 2014
- Running a Robust IT Service Catalog. Amazon Style? November 13, 2014
- Becoming a High Performance IT Organization Starts Today November 13, 2014
- How Your Help Desk Software can Make or Break Your Knowledge Base November 12, 2014
- What IT Teams Can Learn from IT Asset Management in Higher Education November 11, 2014