Let me tell you… I love tags! Being the somewhat-disorganized-programmer-type© that I am, anything that helps bring order into the chaos is Aces in my book. It’s one of the things that pushed my transition to Gmail for example – I have 5 different POP3 accounts all being synchronized into my Gmail account, but it’s still perfectly organized because each incoming email is automatically tagged with the POP3 account which it came from (simple, brilliantly simple!).
SAManage works the same way… only more so – Everything can be tagged!
I’d like to run you through some examples of how tagging can make your life easier… Please consider these the tip of the iceberg – I could probably write a novel on the subject, but I need to leave some topics open for future blog posts.
Problem: How can I streamline my inventory process?
- Bring up your inventory list and filter it to the assets you will be inventorying (e.g. by site);
- Select ’em all and use Mass Update to tag them all with “To_Be_Inventoried”;
- Now you can filter your list by tag, and as you inventory each asset it will be removed from the list. This is especially helpful if you need to delegate the work to several people;
- When you actually inventory the item, remove the “To_Be_Inventoried” tag and, optionally, tag it with a tag to indicate it’s been inventoried (e.g. “Inventoried_Nov_2011”)
Note: you can tag Computer assets and Other Assets with the same tag; then, a global search (“@tag: To_Be_Inventoried”) will return a list of items from both categories (Hey Google, here’s a hint: I want to be able to tag an email, a contact and a calendar entry with the same tag and be able to find them all with one search… but I digress);
Problem: OK, what about my spares inventory?
- You’ve already marked all your spares using the “Spare” status;
- Create and assign tags for each laptop/desktop configuration (e.g. Sales_Guy, Developer, Sr_Executive);
- When you need to allocate a new machine to a new hire, you can create a filter search for all spare machines with a specific configuration.
Problem: Root Cause Analysis for incidents?
Solution: Tags! (Are you sensing a theme here :-)?
- Here, we have an even more compelling case; SAManage will automatically tag your incidents based on the title and contents of the incident; as you add tags to incidents, SAManage learns which tags are commonly used and looks for those keywords in new incidents as they are created; you can add your specific tag cloud as a widget on the dashboard;
- Once your incidents are tagged, you can search for all incidents with a set of tags and start documenting all those incidents together;
- Create a Problem to document the Root Cause, and tag it with the same tag(s);
- Once you’ve addressed the Problem, create a Solution to document how to solve it and tag that Solution;
- Now your end-users can find the Solution using a tag search and solve their own problem;
- A few less calls to your Service Desk — That’s a good thing!