Managing one workstation is quite expensive per year: Between $7,000 and $13,000, according to Gartner surveys. With the growth of your business, costs rise. You can save — potentially thousands of dollars per year — in the information technology department by incorporating desktop management solutions
Businesses that rely heavily on desktops and internal operations benefit from a cost-effective, easy-to-use solution. A good desktop management solution tracks, manages and organizes IT assets throughout an organization, maintains up-to-date inventories for audits and management, administers and allocates tasks, manages configuration, patches, deployments and upgrades, and provides management against threats and hacks.
A good desktop management solutions program will help you discover all networked assets, not just workstations. It finds printers, routers and servers. It helps the IT management team track ownership history and inventory information, including software licenses. You can also control procurement with a purchase order and a contract module.
Would you like to configure and manage desktops remotely and from a central point? Desktop management programs allow this, including:
- Executing custom scripts for control
- Managing issues and changes to support users
- Allowing a self-service ticketing portal to reduce latency
- Detecting vulnerabilities across heterogeneous networked assets
- Assessing and remediating vulnerabilities
- Automating management and distribution of patches and other security fixes
Some desktop management solutions also allow you to configure and manage desktops remotely in a Windows network, including desktops and laptops. You can manage security permissions easily, and modify multiple users in the active directory.
The key benefits of using desktop management solutions are:
- You can reduce your annual IT expenditure by 20 percent
- You can automate management tasks, whether they are daily tasks or those occur less frequently
- Enforce corporate standards
- You have transparent compliance
- You have access to an up-to-date infrastructure for better productivity
- Manual work effort is significantly reduced, which reduces your IT management costs over time
Depending on the desktop management solutions software you choose, you may be able to purchase only the modules you need. This saves you money on a suite of tools you need to manage and better control your IT department via reports. Choose to install all or some reports, including system resource statistics and system asset statistical reports, among other reports to track.
About Adam Shearin
Adam is an accomplished sales professional with over six years of experience working with mobile applications and cloud-based IT service desk and asset management solutions. Experienced working with a broad range of clients from SMB to Fortune 500, Adam clearly and confidently knows how to best articulate the benefits of multi-tenant SaaS-based ITSM/ITAM software. Adam's service management expertise isn't limited to IT and transcends departments organization-wide, bringing a new level of efficiency and processes to departments that once relied solely on spreadsheets and emails.
Read more articles by Adam