The ability to collect, store, and disseminate knowledge about IT incidents and their solutions is critical to successful IT service management. By retaining and centralizing the intelligence gathered during the course of incident handling, IT departments can increase productivity, accelerate issue resolution, and decrease the risk associated with staff turnover. This, in turn, will improve service delivery to end users and increase their satisfaction, while minimizing the impact of system down time when incidents occur, and promoting optimum business continuity.
Retain Knowledge in Your Service Desk
The SAManage IT Service Management solution includes a fully-integrated Knowledge Base, empowering companies to facilitate effective IT knowledge management throughout their organization. It includes “articles” (solutions) that can contain everything from procedures and policies, to best practices – even email templates that can be sent to end users to guide them through a “quick fix”.
Reuse and Share Knowledge
With our new IT Service Desk, IT teams can:
- Create new solutions in the system, capturing details about workarounds, fixes, and other tips discovered during the course of incident diagnosis and handling.
- Store knowledge about troubleshooting, common symptoms, and other incident-related details, for fast, easy reference in the future.
- Share information with IT teams working in satellite offices, branches, or other remote locations.
- Create a set of best practices and standard guidelines for handling certain types of incidents.
- Search for possible solutions when new incidents arise, for more rapid diagnosis and repair.
- Retain staff knowledge, to prevent “intelligence leakage” in the event of attrition.
Automate Knowledge Capture
To add a solution to the SAManage IT Service Desk, support staff can simply go to the “Solutions” section and create a new solution. Or, when resolving an incident, they can select the option to save the information as a new solution. This will capture and store the title, description, resolution, and all other relevant information in the Knowledge Base as a new draft solution. All solutions are automatically tagged in the background, so they can be quickly located and reviewed whenever needed.
Support staff can also suggest a solution to the user using the commenting system. This will enable end users to solve simple or less severe problems on their own. As a result, technical staff can focus their efforts on those incidents that are more complex, and require the personalized attention of an expert.