Ah, a new version of Windows, and a whole new set of shortcuts to learn. Don’t worry, the old standbys still work (how long has it been since you’ve hit S? Hit it again, just to be on the safe side), but there are a few more to add to your repertoire so that you can be faster (and look really cool to your friends who haven’t even upgraded to version 10 yet).
New Windows 10 Shortcuts
The Windows key has more work to do now. Here are a few of those commands:
- Windows key + A = Snaps a window to the Edge of the Screen Immediately using the left/right arrow after this step toggles the windows between one-quarter screen and one-half screen modes. You can snap together up to four windows using this method.
- Windows key + the <left, right,=”” up,=”” down=””>arrows = Snaps current window to the side of the screen indicated by the arrow key. Alternately, you can use the mouse to drag and drop the windows where you want them. This works like the “Aero Snap” feature in Windows 7.
- Windows key + D = Shows the Windows desktop instantly.
- Windows key + plus = Moves the currently selected window to the next monitor in a multi-monitor setup.
- Windows key + <1, 2, 3, etc.> = Opens programs that are penned to the Task Bar. Pressing 1 opens the first, pressing 2 opens the second, and so on. In a Window with multiple tabs open, you can scroll thorough those tabs using the key.
- Windows key + = Closes the current Window. Or, if you are already at the Desktop, this keystroke combination brings up the shutdown menu.
- Windows key + the up arrow key = Takes you up one level in File Explorer.
- Windows the left arrow key = Takes you to the previous folder in File Explorer.
- Windows key + the right arrow key = Takes you to the next folder in File Explorer.
- Windows key + I = Allows you to open Windows 10 Settings.
- Windows key + L = Locks the machine for you immediately.
- Windows key + X = Opens a list of administrative menus, including Device Manager and Disk Management.
- Windows key + P = Allows you to project a screen.
- Windows key + K = Activates the Connect feature so that you can stream wireless displays and audio devices.
Printing this list and pasting it where your IT help desk workers can see it is a great way to help them memorize the keystrokes quickly for faster work and greater productivity. With the right tools, your help desk can be more productive than ever!
About Brandon Wolfe
Read more articles by Brandon