One of our users recently shared this valuable tip with us – a great way to continuously track changes to assets using the custom search feature.
To monitor changes to assets via custom search, just follow these steps:
- Search for the asset or software you are interested in tracking – for example, “Skype”
- When your search results appear, click on the RSS icon and generate an RSS feed of the results
- Subscribe to that RSS feed to monitor results via your favorite reader (note: you can also subscribe to other views within the SAManage service)
Once you’ve completed these steps, any modifications to your IT assets will appear as changes within that feed. Review the feed regularly to be instantly notified of any new systems, or any updates to existing ones. If you want further details on any particular asset, simply click on the item to retrieve its complete information and history in SAManage.
Use RSS feeds to monitor your IT
Using this combination of custom search and RSS to monitor changes in your IT environment can be very helpful, providing you with faster alerts when conditions change, and giving you greater visibility into what’s going on within your assets. You’ll be instantly notified when important events take place, such as:
- A new computer gets installed or removed
- A PC gets reassigned to another department or user
- A new audit event is created for an asset
- A new risk is detected
- A new help desk ticket is created
Visit our Web site for more valuable tips on getting the most our of your SaaS IT asset management solution.
SaaS-based IT Management Software
Discover how SaaS IT Management software can help you gain instant visibility into your assets and know exactly what you have. Sign up for a free trial of SAManage IT Management service.
About Laura Miller
Laura Miller is the Senior Director of Sales Operations, ITSM at SolarWinds. She works one-on-one with customers ranging from SMB to Fortune 500, providing them with a modern way to look at service management. Laura's ITIL experience and ITIL v3 Foundations certification provides her with a unique understanding of the service management industry. Her guilty pleasures are anything chocolate, ice coffee, and reality TV.
Read more articles by Laura