Request fulfillment is a powerful process that should not be overlooked. This process is an important aspect of improving consumption of business and IT services both internally and externally for the organization. Managing lifecycle of all user requests, request fulfillment can also be used to identify business opportunities for IT suppliers. Focusing here also helps the backend IT performance and overall performance for the end user.
Organizations work in a request fashion. One member of the organization requests service delivery or support from another member of the organization who is responsible for delivering that service. Every person and function within an organization has a specialized role that, when leveraged correctly, benefits the organization as a whole. However, sometimes people take on activities outside their speciality, instead of reaching out to the person whose job it is to administer the required function.
Enter the request fulfillment process. This process is best described as a series of steps to give users easy access to the services they require. When implemented, request fulfillment helps with coordination and collaboration across the organization, not just for IT requests. Benefits include increased efficiency and cost reduction by implementing simple, repeatable processes. Request fulfillment provides:
- Improved resource and capability utilization across the organization
- A single method to handle requests of all types
- Improve performance of employee resources
- Help with automation of manual process
As you build your request fulfillment processes, consider these questions for greatest efficiency.
- What are the steps required to complete the request?
- What teams or individuals are needed along the way?
- Does the request have a certain level of urgency that requires it to be completed in a certain amount of time?
- Are there ramifications if the request isn’t met, and if so, what are next steps?
In the eBook, 101+ Ways to Automate Your Workplace, we give you examples of implementing enterprise service management with the request fulfillment process as the enabler for success. With more than 101 options, you’re guaranteed to be off to a great start with request fulfillment.